Thursday, November 29, 2012

Being a Fan Can Change Your Life


Much like yesterday, I gave myself a very open ended topic suggestion for today. It simply says “Fan of (Books, Games, Etc)”  I think the point was to let me write about whatever I was feeling particularly fan-y about today, which was a good idea, except that I can’t seem to settle on what fandom I want to write about today.
I am a huge fan of so many things, and a causal fan of so many others.  I’ve met some of my best friends because of the TV shows I watch and the books I read.  I’m only as close as I am to one of my very best friends because of our love for Harry Potter, and a summer we spent doing almost nothing but trying desperately to stay awake through a consecutive marathon of the movies, and writing fan fiction.  The group that I hung out with throughout college only found me because I was idly typing “Stargate SG-1” as a way to test fonts in computer class, and I was invited to watch Stargate Atlantis with the group on Friday night.  I can’t even begin to imagine how different my life would be if I hadn’t been a fan of SG-1 or Atlantis.  I’ve made friends online through various video games and out of love for specific comics. My brother gets annoyed when his girlfriend and I get together to squee over the latest expansion pack of The Sims game.   I don’t even know who I would be without my tendency to fangirl, and I frankly have no desire to find out.
<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment