Saturday, December 1, 2012

My Argument With Christmas Music


Okay.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am I huge fan of Christmas music.  I keep it on my iPod year round.  I have been mocked, more than once, for singing “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” to myself on ninety degree days.  I start listening to it with regularity in October, much to the complaints of my friends and family. Now that I can hear it pretty much everywhere that I go, I am a much happier person.
But Christmas music and I need to have a few words.  There are songs that the general public seems to believe are Christmas songs, that really, really, aren’t.  The two worst offenders are “My Favorite Things” from The Sound of Music, and  “Hallelujah” which has a million covers, but was originally written by Leonard Cohen.  I like both of these songs, don’t get me wrong, and I don’t really complain when I get to hear them, but they are not Christmas songs, and when I am trying to listen to Christmas music, I do get a little snippy when they come on.
I mean, “My Favorite Things” I can kind of understand.  Snowflakes on noses and eyelashes, brown paper packages tied up with string—I can see the Christmas-y vibes there.  But Hallelujah?  All it has going for it is the word Hallejuah.  I mean, have you ever actually listened to the words of that song?  It’s wonderfully depressing at times.   It’s not all at all what I think about when I think Christmas Season and Christmas Spirit.
So, let’s all agree, shall we?  Good songs, yes, but not Christmas music.
<3

1 comment:

  1. But... I love the song "Hallelujah". I stop whatever I'm doing to sing along whenever it comes on. I've been yelled at in public places for it. (And we all know that anything that causes me to be yelled at in public places is an excellent, excellent thing.)

    On the other hand... No. Not a Christmas song. Biblical references, yes. But then, Wide Awake by Katy Perry has Biblical References. Let me know if you start hearing THAT as a Christmas song.

    ReplyDelete