Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Safety of Hollins


Missing Hollins to me is missing my friends, and the sense of sisterhood, not missing the physical campus I’ve got no real love for the Hollins campus and certainly no love for the Roanoke Valley as a whole. That being said, there is one thing I miss about the Hollins campus terribly. The safety.
At Hollins, I never felt confided, not really.  If I woke up at three in the morning, suddenly desperate to get out of my room—I could. I could leave Tinker, or the Apartments, or Rose Hill and walk to Dana, the science building, to get some work done, or just walk the road circling campus, The Loop, with my own thoughts, depending on what exactly it was that woke me up. If I left something in my room, or I really wanted a quick snack from the rat, I felt comfortable leaving my bag wherever I was studying or working, and knowing that I would most likely come back to find everything still in its place, sometimes even with notes from friends who came looking for me in my usual places.  
The real world doesn’t have that kind of safety or freedom.  That sucks. There is no pretty way to summarize it, it just sucks. It’s one of the absolute shames of growing up.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment