Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fiction: Legal Theft-- Flying Home


The truth of the matter was that he had absolutely never expected to see her again. Not that he didnt want to see her again, of course, it was simply that he didn't expect to. She was only in the country for a couple of months, then she would return to her own home. This was his home, so he wasn't going anywhere. It was a natural and easily defined expiration date for their relationship. He fully expected for the goodbyes to be sad and full of promises to keep in touch, but eventually they would fade complete out of contact as time went on, until they were just a happy memory of a good fling they had over a summer. What he absolutely did not expect, was two weeks after her departure, he would at the airport, buying his own ticket to her home town. He never expected to get into a cab, ride to the address she'd given him to write to, and when she opened the door, to kiss her like he had never kissed anyone before.
When the kiss ended, she put her hand softly on his chest and pushed him back a step or two. "George. Not that I'm not extremely glad to see you, but what on earth are you doing here?"
"Ellie, we've got to work something out. You were gone for thirteen days and I already can't stand it. The has to be a way." Ellie smiled up at him, but didn't say anything. "I mean, I'll move here if you want me to, but I know that you also love London, so you could move there with me. Or we could work out some sort of visiting schedule if you dont want us to move, but I cannot stay away from you anymore. So, please, please, tell me we can figure something out because I just cannot take this anymore." George finished his little rant, slightly out of breath.
Ellie smiled a little wider, and shook her head slightly. "George, do you want to come inside?"
"Yes please, thank you." Ellie stepped out of the way, and george entered the foyer.
"Tea?" Ellie offered and gestured for George to follow her down the hallway. Once they each had a mug of tea and had taken a seat at the table in the Kitchen, Ellie turned her full attention back to George. "We can't be rash about this."
"Oh, but we can. And we should. And soon. God, Ellie, ive missed you so terribly." George wanted to kiss her again, but he knew that would. It go over well with her, so he stayed in his seat.
Ellie smiled, and took a slow sip of her tea. "Well, as much as I love your enthusiasm, Georgie, we have to think this through. We will both be miserable in a month if we don't make a rational and reasonable decision about this. Or at. The very least--I will be miserable, and if I'm miserable than you know I will be absolutely no fun to be around." George didn't say anything, but took a longer sip of necessary on his tea. "You see, you know I'm right."
George set his mug down on the table and looked at Ellie evenly. "Well, I have just one favor to ask then."
"Oh?"
"Can we forget rationally and reasonableness for just one night and focus on the grand romantic gesture me flying here to declare my love is?"
Ellie placed her mug down, crossed around the table and sat carefully on George's lap. "You know," she kissed him softly, "I think I can. Just for tonight."

No comments:

Post a Comment