Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy Induced Thoughts


Hurricanes make me homesick.  I know that's such a silly thing to say, but they truly do. It’s something about the winds blowing against the window and the pattering of rain on the roof and walls.  Even though I know there are a hundred different things I could think, hurricanes and Virginia Beach have become synonymous in my mind. 
The first time, I remember waking up at nine in the morning, although it was still as dark as if it were five, and panicking because I had a field trip that day and couldn't afford to be late.  My mom explained that school had been cancelled due to the storm, which was boggling to me, because school had never been cancelled.  The field trip was never rescheduled which was more upsetting to me than any other property damage we might have suffered.
Four years later, I remember lying in bed in the middle of the day, as dark as if it were night, and just listening to the storm.  My brother got me out of bed to go and stand on the front porch to watch the wind blow sticks around until the wind suddenly died, and we walked out into the yard to see the blue sky of the eye above us.
The next year the power was out for six days, and school was out for ten. I helped clean sticks out of the street, and went over to my friend’s house so that I could shower not by candlelight, and with actual heated water. 
Now, I'm lying in bed even though it’s not yet eight. I'm watching TV as long as I can before we inevitably lose power.  Every now and then I'm staring out the window in awe of just how strong the wind seems to be. I'm trying not to stress out over things I can't control, like whether or not I have work tomorrow and how I’ll get there if I do--mostly just hoping that I don't have to go into work at all.
And throughout it all wishing that I was in Virginia Beach.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment