Wednesday, February 6, 2013

If You Could Master Any Skill, What Would It Be?


If I could master any skill, it would easily be the ability to learn languages easily.  I’ve always been fascinated by other languages—well, really all languages. I’m fascinated enough by the nuances of the English language that I dedicated four years to studying them.  But I’ve always wanted to be bilingual, or tri-lingual, or any other lingual.
The only reason that I don’t know another language right now is because it takes time. I know that sounds like a petty excuse to not learn, but it’s not that I give up on learning, it’s that I change my mind.  I’m so indecisive, that I change my mind a hundred different times in the time it would take to learn a language, and I’m not very good at sitting still and picking one.  In just  the past year, I’ve looked up those self-teaching language software programs for Spanish, French, German, Welsh, Farsi, Scottish Gaelic, and Irish Gaelic. I’ve also flirted with the idea of returning to Latin which I studied in school ages ago, or convincing my ex-roommate to teach me Ancient Greek.  If it were up to me, I would learn all of these languages, and more as other languages inevitably strike my fancy.
The truth though? I couldn’t even master Pig Latin or Ubbi Dubbi as a child, and those are just variations of a language I already speak. I don’t have much hope for completely foreign languages.  Will that stop me? No, not really.  But I don’t have high expectations.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment