Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Superheroes


Like many small children, I grew up with a fascination with superheroes. I watched an awful lot of cartoons, read a good handful of comic books, and more than once tied a sheet around my neck as a cape. I followed many a hero, but always held a special place in my heart for Superman. Briefly, I was disappointed to have both my parents and was not adopted because superheroes never got to keep both of their parents unless they were adopted. That was something I got over very quickly.  I was also disappointed that I wasn't the child of a billionaire that would allow me to develop a secret base with tons of cool toys to play with.   That is something I still haven't quite gotten over.
I wonder what would happen if superheroes suddenly appeared. How would we react if someone managed to defy science, physical capabilities, and the technology of the day, and run around ready to take care of the bad guys in the world?  I'm pretty sure that we'd try to kill him/her/it. Maybe that's cynical, but it's what I think is the most likely. I kind of wish it weren't true.   Maybe if the superhero worked with the police, we'd be okay with it-- I don't know.  I imagine we'd all be scared of it. After all, Superheroes and cops almost never get along.  So yeah, I'm pretty sure that we'd kill it dead as soon as we could. Shame.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go watch Tony Stark be snarky.
<3

1 comment:

  1. Have you read/seen "Watchmen"? It's pretty dark, but very good. Written by Alan Moore who was one of the creators of "V for Vendetta." It follows the line of thinking you're on... the not-so-pretty side of how humans would react to superheroes in our midst. (I own the movie if you haven't seen it and are interested.)

    ReplyDelete