Friday, January 18, 2013

Fiction: Legal Theft Project -- Pacing.


“I don’t know how you do that. I would get so sick, so quickly.”  Maggie looked up from her book to see Peter sitting on the couch.  She had been so wrapped up in her book that she hadn’t even noticed that he had come in. In fact, she hadn’t even noticed he’d gotten to her house.  Well, in her defense, it was a really good book.
“Have you been—“
“About an hour, but I was back in Logan’s room so I’ve only been out here for about ten minutes. Don’t worry about it.” Maggie nodded, and crossed around to the front of the couch, sinking down into the cushion at Peter's side. "So, why do you do it?"
"why do I do what?"
"Pace like that. You're always pacing.  You’re studying, you pace.  You’re playing DS, you're pacing. You're reading for fun, you’re pacing. You’re watching Netflix on your iPad, you're pacing--"
"I get it.  I pace a lot." Maggie punched Peter lightly on the arm.  "I don't know.  I get restless. I'm not in anyone's way, and it keeps me happy. I get so wrapped up in the stories of whatever I'm doing, and I just have to move."
"Even studying?  You get wrapped up in the thrilling story of textbook writing?  Margaret my dear, you might be insane."
"No, the pacing while studying might be a 'Don’t fall asleep' kind of thing.  Also, I'm sure I could ask Logan to come up with some biological explanation for getting blood flowing improving memory retention or something like that. Sounds like something she could justify, right?"
"I'm pretty sure Logan could justify anything given proper time and motivation."  Peter watched as Maggie tapped her foot softly against the floor.  He watched on silence for a minute and a half before he finally sighed, "You want to go back to your pacing, don't you?"
"It's just that they're in the middle of a really big battle and I think that--"
"Go," he laughed.  I'll talk to you later." Maggie was up and pacing before he even had time to finish the sentence.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment