Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fiction: Legal Theft Project -- The Daycare Report


"I have forty-two minutes."  Bradley sank down into the chair opposite Angel, who handed him a slice of pepperoni pizza, a box of fries, and a soda.  “Assuming another eighteen minute drive and five minutes to get back to my desk, which gives us nineteen minutes, so go.”  Bradley took a big bite of his pizza and smiled across the table at his wife.
“You’re ridiculous.”  She laughed.
“And you’re wasting time,” Bradley spoke around his pizza.
“Fine. I talked to Marta this morning.  Apparently Adam has started walking.  Marta is beside herself.”
“I’d imagine so. Marta was thrilled when Adam figured out how to touch his own face, walking must make her lose her mind.”
“Yes, well, Stevie is less than thrilled though, because now Adam can reach a whole new level of things that Marta is making him go around and child proof.”
“And that precisely is why I child proofed absolutely everything in one run. I don’t want to do it again.”
“Also, Izzy is smarter than Adam, so we don’t have to do quite as much work as Stevie.”
It went on like that for the nineteen minutes.  Angel gave Bradley all the details from their friends in the daycare social circle.  Bradley ate them all up.  As they stood up to leave, he wrapped his arm around his wife’s shoulders and kissed her on the head.  “I hate the days that I have to work.”
“And I hate the days I have to work,” Angel smiled back, “But I think we’ll both appreciate them when Izzy heads off to school, and we can help her pay.”
“Logic.”  Bradley gave his wife a proper kiss as they came to the front of the parking garage, and then stepped away, heading to his own car.  “Tell Adam congratulations for me.  And Stevie, good luck.”
“Can do.”  Angel waited and watched as he got into his car, and waved as he drove away. Then she got into her own car and headed back towards the house with all the other mothers and toddlers.  She loved it when it was her day to not work.



The first line of this story was legally stolen from my dear friend Gwen. See what she did with the line I gave her today, and see what she originally wrote for this starting line tomorrow over at http://apprenticenevermaster.wordpress.com/.   <3

No comments:

Post a Comment