Friday, September 7, 2012

Adventures in People Watching


At work today, a father and (adult) daughter were ordering their drinks and carrying on with an argument.  “You don’t need to protect me anymore,” the daughter insisted, “I know how to take care of myself.”
“I haven’t had to protect you since you were about fourteen, and I am painfully aware of that. But I still think that I am well within my rights to want to protect you.  Is that so wrong?” the father countered. 
The daughter was brought up short by that response, and after a couple of seconds of silence, she twisted the subject of the argument so that she was back on moral high ground. 
I think he has a point.  Perhaps it’s because I’m feeling a little bit guilty about being so short tempered with my own father when discussing my own future and my own wants, but I can certainly see his point. Just because she can take care of herself, doesn’t mean he has to be completely hands off for the rest of his life.  Now, if she decides that she doesn’t want his help or protection, then she is an adult, and it is out of his hands, but—
Here’s me opening a can of worms, but I was having a similar discussion with someone about the prospect of getting married.  She was talking about how she didn’t want a husband who was going to “take care” of her or “protect” her. Something felt off about her argument to me, so I couldn’t agree with her wholeheartedly. Now I know what my counter argument would be. Now, days later when the argument is over and she’s likely forgotten we had the argument in the first place, of course.  So, I’ll tell the internet as a whole in an attempt to pretend that I could’ve held my own rather than just getting flustered and changing the subject.
My counter argument would be, no, I don’t want a husband who has to take care of me or protect me, but I want one who wants to.  And I want one who will when I’m feeling weak and I don’t think I’m capable of standing on my own two feet.
Along the same vein, I will try to be more understanding of my parents and grandparents as they try to help me and protect me.  I won’t let them “protect” me to the point that I don’t get out and do what I want/need to do, but I will understand that they don’t want to see me get hurt.  And I can’t fault them for that.
<3

1 comment:

  1. Understand your argument completely! I like being independent and going to the shops by myself, and I don't like it when Cal gets all protective like I can't take care of myself. However, I DO like that he's willing to walk me home at 2am after a night of babysitting because I'm freaked out by the prospect of drunk people trying to follow me. I feel like there are going to be times when people do want to be protected, like you said, and it's nice to be able to rely on someone for that.

    ReplyDelete