Saturday, September 29, 2012

Little Gifts


I find the strangest things to be treats for me.  For example, last night, I had a real treat.  I slept on the couch.  And yes, I found that to be a treat.
Growing up, my dad slept on the couch a lot.  Not because he was in trouble with my mom or any of those stereotypes you think of when the man is forced to sleep on the couch in a story or television show, but usually because he would stay up watching television so late that he would be the last one in the room still watching, and he’d just fall right asleep where he sat.  So, on days that I stayed up later than him, or days that he wasn’t home, and days when I didn’t have to wake up for school, I would carry my blanket out to the couch and make my own little nest to sleep in. I had full control of the television, and I could stay up or fall asleep at my choosing.  It’s true; we did have a very comfortable couch, so that made it an extra treat in itself, but it was also that I got to sleep out there where my dad normally slept.  For some reason or another, that was a privilege to me.
No one sleeps on the couch in our apartment.  In fact, most nights the living room is left abandoned as we go about our separate paths, trying to be productive in our own unique ways. But last night the roommate who lives right off the living room was out of town—and I had no one to disturb.
So I pulled out my comforter, put on my copy of The Princess Bride, and hunkered down into my own little nest to watch a movie I loved and to stay up or fall asleep at my choosing.
And frankly, it’s probably the best night’s sleep I’ve had in a long, long while.
<3 

1 comment:

  1. I do that, too! Last year, when Jamie was gone overnight, I would often sleep on the couch. It felt less lonely for some reason. That hasn't happened yet this year, because there's always someone else around in my house.

    ReplyDelete