Wednesday, September 5, 2012

School Less Student


So, it’s official. After yesterday, this is the longest I’ve ever been not in school since I was three.  I was one of those strange children that actually got really excited for the school year to start every September (New Notebooks, New Pens, New Books—What’s not to like?), so it’s been particularly hard for me this year.  I actually got a little choked up when I saw a school bus dropping kids off today. 
Okay, maybe not choked up, but I was sad. 
As strange as it sounds--and maybe I won’t think it in a day or two--but I think that “not being in school” is actually my least favorite part of being an adult.  Paying my own bills I can deal with.  Having to be “responsible” and “mature” I can handle.  Not being a hundred percent sure what to do with my life is nothing new.  But not going to class?  Not having homework? Not attending lectures and discussions and all the things of that nature?  That’s heartbreaking to me.  As stressful as it all was at the time, I really loved it.
I’m trying that “teach yourself” thing.  I’m learning vocab words for a graduate test I never plan to take. I’ve looked up places online that swear they’ll help me learn a new language (Whether I believe them or not…).  I’m considering buying workbooks or other things that I can play around with. I have learned more about coffee growth, roasting, and brewing then I ever cared to in the past month and a bit. I’ve upped my daily reading and writing goals.  But none of it compares with the idea of getting up and going to school. 
I don’t know.  I’m sure my affection for school will die down very, very quickly when that letter informing me it’s time to start paying off those student loans shows up at my doorstep.  Until then--
If anyone has any suggestions on fun things to study or a topic that might be interesting to read up on, please let me know.  It’s fun to have things to study.
Until next time,
<3 

1 comment:

  1. I can loan you a social work book that I still have from grad school because I absolutely adored it. Possibly a child development book, too. I think I still have it somewhere. Both books (really, the classes they were attached to) are big parts of how I ended up where I am now and where I want to go. My only condition is that I must get them back.

    ReplyDelete