Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Tinker Sick?


So, Hollins Sick is nothing new. I was warned several times in advance through multiple different class years that I was bound to be Hollins Sick after graduation, no matter how much I thought I was ready to be done with the place.  But as we rapidly approach October, I’ve realized that what I’m going through right now is a very specific kind of Hollins Sick.  I’m Tinker Sick.  Without even realizing it, I’ve been waiting for a surprise day off.  A phone call from my boss that will tell me not to come into work, and I’ll spend the whole day dressed in something ridiculous. I have absolutely no desire to climb another mountain (always my least favorite part of Tinker Day, and I hated going down the mountain even more so), but the silly skits, inordinate amounts of foods that strictly speaking aren’t good for me, and proper excuse to dress up like an absolute fool—yeah, I really miss Tinker Day. 
I was half awake this morning (my alarm having already gone off once, but I knew I could hit snooze twice more before I actually had to get up) when one of my roommates dropped something in the kitchen.  It made a very distinct clanging pot sort of noise.  I longed for the days of Tinker Scares, no matter how they annoyed me as an underclassman or caused me to go deaf for a couple hours as a senior. It’s making my heart hurt even now just thinking about it. I wonder when the class of 2013 did their last one, or when they are going to do it again. I wonder if my Ring Sister has gotten to do any, since she’s a commuter student, and I sincerely hope she has.
I hope that when Tinker Day finally does come, I have the day off work.  If I do, I’m going to the Stop and Shop for some fried chicken and chocolate cake.  I’m going to wear my senior robe and my Rose Hill Tinker Shirt, and multiple layers of various other mismatching clothes.  I may even wear all that to the Stop and Shop and enjoy looking completely insane—just for the moment. And as much as I’m going to miss Tinker Day, I’ll just remember that I’ll still be able to feel my legs come three in the afternoon and try to focus on the bright side of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment