Monday, September 17, 2012

My Favorite Game


I’ve just returned from sliding around on the kitchen floor in my socks. Why was a twenty-two year old woman slip-sliding around on the linoleum floor?  Because it’s fun that’s why.  I told Kathryn that I was going to fall from the second I started.  I did. Three times, but only twice were accidental.  The third time was because I remembered a game that I used to play as a kid while I was at church waiting for my mother to get out of choir practice, a game that was the bane of the teenager who was watching me. 
The game is very simple, and goes like this.  You spin around as quickly as you can, and don’t let yourself do any of those little trick things like picking a spot to prevent yourself from getting dizzy.  You just spin and let yourself get properly messed up in the head.  Then throw yourself forward to your knees, and then lay flat on the floor, arms and legs splayed, eyes shut.  The floor will rock back and forth, and it feels like you’re one a boat. If you just lay there, eventually the world will stabilize itself again.  Stand up. Repeat the process. 
I thought that perhaps the game might not be as much fun at twenty-two as it was at eight.  I was wrong.  It’s still ridiculously fun.  Hold on. I’m going to go do it again.
Yes.  Good fun. Knees a little bit more sore than when I was eight, but good fun all the same.
I could tie this into some kind of big metaphor about doing something that you know is going to make you fall--or hurt your knees--but you just keep doing it because it’s fun and the fun is worth it.  Blah blah blah.  Really, I just wanted to tell you all about my awesome game. Try it some time.
<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment